Sunday 14 December 2014

#9 Enigma Christmas Day 2

14th December 2014
4:36:43

Day 2 of my first double.
Woke up feeling good physically and mentally.
Had the idea that sub 9 for the double could be doable.
Calculated pace required, still sounded doable.

Very windy outside so similar outfit to yesterday swapping base for a less warm one and omitting the gloves.
I was quite thirsty and hungry so grabbed water and snacks every lap (except when getting the bell).
Enormous head winds on a few stretches of the course.

Pace wise:
Laps 1-4 at my target pace. Tightness in lower-lower outside of right leg.
Halfway point first time legs felt a bit heavy.
Lap 5, bored. iPod wouldn't work. Popped a caffeine tab. Walked the top half of the lake. Feet hurt. Hands got so cold in the wind I could was loosing grip of the laces as I loosened and retied them. Then returned to running for the larger loop.
Laps 6 and 7, caffeine had kicked in and leg heaviness had gone. I found some speed hitting maraPB pace, felt nice to stretch out the legs, just wanting it to be over.

Lap 6 Phil walked around the dam with me- view across to the aid station/finish.


Sprint finish and the pleasant surprise of Paris buddy J on the finish line with Phil, and El there too just getting changed as she'd been at MK Half with J and some others of the crew.

Double medalling


The route is nice enough and has a fair bit of variety in it.
7 laps is ok, but 14 over 2days is a bit torturous. Keeping motivation is tough. Running with a buddy could help reduce boredom, or planning a more reserved time and allowing more walk breaks. Or having an iPod that works would probably have made a big difference for me.

Doubles are definitely a mental game.
Body felt fine. Feet a bit hurty but to be expected after spending so much time on them. 

1 comment:

  1. 14 laps must get a bit dull no matter where you are I would think!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment: