Sunday 30 November 2014

#7 Saxon Shore

30th November 2014
4:10:28

Soooooo foggy- after setting off to drive I'd assumed I'd end up late due to lack of visibility on the roads- wasn't the case.

Arrived to the sea front venue. It was spooky, visible was the pebble top of the beach and then a blanket of nothingness. This didn't lift much the entire race, though on the second 'lap' I noticed lots of buildings and stuff I hadn't on the first, and on occasion caught glimpses of sea and a few seconds sound bite of shore break lapping the shingle. Other stuff to see included Walmer Castle, Deal Castle and the historic shops/theatre/museum in Deal.

As far as the running goes, I was feeling surprisingly fresh. My body seems to have coped quite well with recovering from the 3 previous marathons (all 2 weeks apart)- I know this is 'normal' for some marathoners, and actually quite low numbers for those who do doubles every week/fortnight, but I'm just starting out on this multiple-madness so I'm pleased with my 'beginner progress'. Definitely running the day before/after marathons has helped teach me to run on tired legs.
Actually I'd run 9 miles yesterday and kept forgetting this during the race too. I'd meant it to be 12 miles but I'd ran out of time before work (grrr Saturday school).

Each "lap" (out-and-back) was 5.25 miles very simply along the Tarmac/concrete footpath beside the sea. 5 laps was ok. I was concerned for boredom, but only used my headphones for the final lap. The aid station was awesome. I'd left a Powerade at the 'own drinks' end, but the supplied spread of Haribo (nom nom), jelly babies, M&Ms, Mars bar, peanuts, cake, crisps as well as water, squash and some electrolyte drinks. I was particularly taken by the Haribo sweets- the ones which are gummy on one side and foam on the other. Loved those.

After half way, on my third lap, around 10:30 on a Sunday morning all the dog walkers had flocked to the green areas along the route. Loose dogs were playing and chasing balls. I was quite aware of the dogs, and in the middle of some complex maths over pace, distance, time and projected finishing time. Two dogs ran sideways across the path and I couldn't react in time. I had momentum, clocked one dog really hard across the side of its body, fell to my knees and rolled until I was on my back. I muttered 'FFS' under my breath, laid a while in a tucked position, the owner and a couple of other runners asking if I was ok. I did a head to toe check. I thought I was ok. Staggering up, I started mouthing off to the owner- had he not noticed how many runners there were here today, did he not think it was about time he got his dogs under control and  put them on on a lead, before someone else gets tripped up.
Bruised knees, I thought I'd slightly landed on my left hip but that seemed ok. I stood for a while, and then set off again. Could. Have. Been. Worse.

Finished the race uneventfully. Averaging 5'50"/km when running plus walk breaks at the aid station.

Friendly. That's the word to describe the team, Traviss and Rachel.
There was encouragement every lap, and bibs had our names on so it felt more personal to get the "still smiling, Natalie" and other motivating comments.

Oo the goody bag.
Check it out!


3 comments:

  1. Would love to have been there for that conversation! Did they put the dogs on a lead afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! I don't think he even had a lead to put his on. I had the rest of the race to run so I have to just leave it and move on.

      Delete
    2. Eugh. I hate irresponsible pet ownership!

      Delete

Leave me a comment: