Sunday 11 January 2015

#11 Martello

11th January 2015
4:27:53

Saturday inland had been wiiiindy, heavy showers at times and pretty grim overall. I'd been back runner for the school's cross country event. On the coast had been yucky wet, gale force and even hail.

The Sunday marathon was set to be sunny, dry, and probably less wind.

Got greeted by E at number collection, had an inkling she would be there after spotting a Facebook post relating to doubling in Kent.

The previous Sunday I'd run a very slow 15 and suffered fudged legs for days afterwards so was planning to take things easy.

First outward leg- into the wind. I dropped behind a group going about the right speed and used them as shelter. I walked a little at the turnaround.
First return leg- feeling a bit better, taking a few walk breaks, legs happy. Caught up with E and two buddies after she'd nipped behind the sea wall :o stayed with them and chatted. Run-walking.
Second outward- stayed with the group, enjoying the company and conversation. One dropped back so three of us continued. Again run-walking.
Second return- same.
Third outward- R stayed a little longer at the aid station so it was just me and E. Wind was really picking up but it was /just/ still quicker to run than power walk.
Third return- we picked up some speed.



Fourth outward- I took some cake at the aid station but really I shouldn't. E pushed us on into the howling treacle. She suggested running to halfway up and reassessing, at halfway, the question, "do you need to walk?" I was ready to walk, but did I /need/ to walk? No. So onwards we ran. I was zoned out a bit by the end- I though I was watching for the chalk marking the turnaround, but I missed it and E shouted me back- I laughed- ironic to miss the thing you're desperately waiting for.
Return and final leg- we pushed the pace. And pushed it again. And again. We are well matched runners even down to stride length and cadence. This was our fastest 10k, with an insanely fast last 2k (4'50"?/km) and a top speed of 4'08/km- threshold pace.

4'27" and a hug from Traviss.

Such a buzz.
I'm still buzzing two days later.
Company in the second half really helps. And a fast finish just feeeeels soooo gooood.




Love the medal. Great detailing, enamelling and turquoise ribbon.
Good goody bag. Chocolate appreciated.
I had to get changed pretty pronto-too cold. Then had the chicken wrap Phil had made me, and scoffed some more cake while chatting to a few people inc Rob- "MarathonMan" before heading for home.

I made myself an awesome Monday breakfast with the Cadbury Caramel Buttons.:

1 comment:

  1. Yeay for the right wording in a question and for post race buzz (and buttons!)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment: