Saturday 24 January 2015

#12 Viking Coastal Day 1

24th January 2015
4:12:16

Bluewater Friday night, met up with L who'd travelled in from Dawlish. Bit of Pret, browsing the sports shops and Pizza Hut tea (no cheese).

Forecast
19 gusting 29mph
Highs of 6degrees (plus windchill)
Sunny

Course
4x out then back, very flat, very straight, mainly (old) Tarmac with some of it off-camber.
The usual awesome aid station.



What to say.....
Similar to Martello a strong headwind on the outward leg towards Reculver Towers, glad of full jacket, buff and hat/headband combo.
I ran as slowly as I could really, I was aiming for 4.25-30 as I was slightly over 9h for my first double in December. I'm quite well wind-trained after Martello, my legs are getting strong with the strength training, and it does feel similar to running uphill. I say I was running as slowly as I could as weirdly any slower just felt like being blown backwards.
Once I turned around at the far end (gate) the wind was enough to catch in my lower back and push me along.


I love on this chart how you can see the headwind-tailwind pace for each of the 4 laps.

Anyhoo......
My pace was steady. A little over 6'00"/km on average including breaks at the aid station each 'lap'.
I'd found some space and was running on my own, naturally seeing runners coming the other way and occasionally passing/being passed.
I saved my iPod until the third outward leg, the beach was beautiful, the sun came out, and an awesome first song came on. I got such a kick. I don't remember what the song was- I should sync and check iTunes to find out, but I was miming and dancing my way along the path for a while. I was beaming after that and either it was contagious or other runners were a bit happier now too. I was mouthing along, singing aloud in some places I didn't care and it felt so good.

I kept a reasonably consistent pace, I wanted to not trash my legs so I could a) run happy tomorrow, and b) get some proper training runs in ASAP as Paris training has been hindered somewhat by all these marathons.
A slight increase on the final lap and I brought my average down just a little bit to 5'55"



Fuelling
Strategy: OTT fuelling and early to help protect carb supplies for tomorrow and promote some recovery
3x shot bloks at the far end of the first 3 laps
Sweeties at the aid station.
I'd put a Lucozade sport there (didn't bother with it much) and a Powerade (gave myself brain freeze it was that cold when I gulped it down. Ow. )

Clothing
Flyknits
Brand new socks (lush for the feeties)
Nike winter tights
Nike LS high neck wool
Reebok LS high neck thick jersey
Taped seam wind/water proof jacket
Buff
Thin hat + fleece headband

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed your feet survive all this battering! New socks sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment: