Sunday 22 February 2015

#15 Hugin Challenge

22nd February 2015
5:12:28

Note to self: don't plan to run an epic-ly awesome hilly trail marathon and then run anything the next day, especially not another marathon.

Had a lousy (pathetic) and incredibly painful 5 hours of hobble-jog-faff-walk-shuffle yesterday with pretty views and copious amounts of cake and jammy-dodgers.

I really shouldn't have run more than a couple of miles after the leg burner yesterterday- it was a 'challenge course' of 3-and-a-bit mile loops you could complete as few or as many as you wished in a 6 hour period. But I'm too stubborn and completed 8 laps for 26.4 miles in a painfully slow 5hours12- my slowest time by far for a 'decent surface' marathon.

Laps 1 and 2 went ok. I was plodding long at a steady speed. Hungry and tried to stay savory with Ritz crackers and water.

Lap 3 I started walking top of the big hill. Took a quick #1 break at the aid station. Moved into jammy dodger territory.

Lap 4 I walked quite intermittently. Stopped at the top o f the hill to stretch my QL using a gate to hang off. Wind picking up now at the far end of the loop. Jelly babies at the aid station from here on.

I rang the boyf on lap 5 and made him talk to me on speaker.... he was nice about it. So while I had my phone I took some snaps of the views on the loop. I was walking quite a bit now.

White cliffs in the distance
The National Trust: Pegwell Bay 
The Hugin ship
Cliffsend sign
Lap 6, pretty brutal, everything hurt. lots of run-walk. Wind getting ever stronger and becoming a
nuisance. At least the kite surfers were enjoying it (jealous).

Laps 7 and 8, really wanting to just run and get it finished. Ran as much of each loop as I could and did find an extra gear for the home straight but it was nothing which could be described as fast.

The epic goody bag and giant 'Hugin' Medal

Full credit to Travis and Rachel, and all their team of helpers from handing out hair bands we wore on our wrists to count laps, manning the picnic *ahem* aid station and always cheerful and encouraging. 

1 comment:

Leave me a comment: